Nigeria Demands Urgent Action to End Afrophobic Attacks in South Africa

Oru Leonard

The Federal Government of Nigeria has called for urgent and concrete measures to end xenophobic and Afrophobic attacks against African nationals in South Africa, urging stronger migration governance, responsible political leadership and deeper continental solidarity.

According to the a statement signed by the Special Assistant, Digital Media and Public Diplomacy
Office of the Honourable Minister of State, Raphael Oni, the Minister of State, Ambassador Sola Enikanolaiye, made the call on Tuesday at a virtual roundtable on “South Africa’s Xenophobia in Comparative Perspective,” convened by the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA).

Enikanolaiye said Nigeria viewed the recurring attacks as a serious continental challenge that must be confronted without denial or exaggeration, describing the phenomenon as having a “particularly African, post-colonial and post-apartheid character,” and therefore more appropriately referred to as Afrophobia.

He expressed concern over what he described as the contradiction of nationals from countries that supported South Africa during its anti-apartheid struggle being treated as unwanted outsiders.

According to him, Nigeria’s relationship with South Africa goes beyond trade and diplomatic engagements, stressing that it was built on a shared history of sacrifice and solidarity.
“The relationship between Nigeria and South Africa is not reducible to trade statistics or diplomatic communiqués. There is history in that relationship. There is blood, sacrifice and solidarity in that history,” he said.

The Minister disclosed that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had directed the NIIA to undertake a comprehensive study documenting Nigeria’s contribution to South Africa’s liberation struggle.

He said Nigeria’s support included financial commitments estimated at more than $60 billion, as well as the nationalisation of British Petroleum, scholarships and hospitality extended to South African liberation leaders.

Enikanolaiye also expressed grave concern over the loss of Nigerian lives in Afrophobic attacks, stating that about 90 Nigerians had been killed in such violence since June 2022, with fresh attacks and displacements recorded in 2026.

He warned that continued attacks against African nationals could damage South Africa’s international reputation, undermine investor confidence, threaten regional integration and weaken the moral authority the country earned through its liberation struggle.

To address the situation, the Federal Government urged South African authorities to strengthen migration systems that are transparent, humane and effective.

The Minister stressed that enforcement of immigration laws must remain the responsibility of the state, warning against vigilantism and urging political leaders to avoid rhetoric that portrays migrants as “criminals” or “job thieves.”

He said such narratives could create an atmosphere conducive to violence.
Nigeria also called for public discourse on migration to be based on facts and credible data rather than misinformation and social media rumours.

Enikanolaiye further urged the full activation of existing Nigeria-South Africa early-warning and rapid-response mechanisms to identify and defuse tensions before they escalate into violence.

Beyond government intervention, he advocated stronger people-to-people diplomacy involving businesses, universities, religious and traditional institutions, youth organisations, civil society groups and the media.

According to him, such engagement would help rebuild trust and reinforce the idea of a shared African identity.
The Minister announced that Nigeria, in collaboration with Ghana, would present the issue at the next Session of the African Union Assembly of Heads of State and Government.

While acknowledging South Africa’s willingness to engage on the “push and pull factors” behind migration, he maintained that immediate attention must be given to hate-driven violence and attacks against African nationals.

He said Africa needed to move beyond mere tolerance towards genuine belonging, where Africans living in other African countries are treated with equal dignity.
“What Africa needs now is not mere tolerance but belonging to a continent where a Nigerian in Johannesburg and a South African in Lagos are regarded first as Africans with equal dignity,” he said.

Enikanolaiye also reaffirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s commitment to the welfare and protection of Nigerians abroad, citing the President’s direct intervention in the recent repatriation of Nigerians from South Africa.

He commended Nigeria’s Heads of Mission in Pretoria and Johannesburg, as well as other stakeholders involved in ensuring the prompt execution of the repatriation exercise.

The Minister reaffirmed the Federal Government’s determination to work with South Africa, the African Union, ECOWAS and other partners to ensure that the vision of African integration is matched by unity and solidarity in practice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *