Honourable Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, SAN, has noted that an efficient air transport system contributes a lot the economic growth and the development of any country. He said Legislators play vital role to ensure the aviation sector operates efficiently thereby contributing to Nigeria’s economic development.
He made this known in his goodwill message delivered at a webinar with the theme: ‘Repositioning the Aviation Sector for Revenue Generation and Growth’: The Role of Legislation, in the aviation sector is more than just an industry as it serves as vital lifeline connecting nations, fostering tourism and driving economic growth.
According to the Minister, Data from the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) shows that Aviation Sector has contributed about 117 billion Naira which is 4% to the National GDP in the first quarter of 2022; it supports about 200,000 jobs and pays about 8.5 billion Niara in tax annually. These, the minister adjudged as impressive stating the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR. is committed to up scaling the achievements.
Enumerating his focus areas encapsulated in a five-point agenda namely:
• Strict compliance with national laws and regulations; and international obligations.
• Improvement and development of infrastructure for Passenger convenience.
• Support for the growth and sustenance of Local Airline Businesses.
• Human Capacity Development and;
• Optimization of Revenue Generation, keyamo said “Legislators have the authority to allocate budgets and approve funding for aviation projects, including airport construction and maintenance, procurement of equipment, and safety enhancements by ensuring adequate funding for the sector’s growth and development.
He said, to actualize the 5-point Agenda for the growth of the Nigerian Aviation value chain, the Ministry is looking forward to a new phase of partnership and collaboration, by leveraging the immense opportunities in the sector to attract Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and Joint-Venture Partnerships with heads of international economic organizations, presidents of transnational corporations and principals of leading privately-owned enterprises. “Legislators also provide oversight by monitoring the implementation of aviation policies and ensuring that both the Federal Ministry of Aviation and the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) adhere to regulations and carry out their functions effectively.”
He appreciated the organizer of the webinar event, Messrs Olisa Agbakoba for his commitment, initiative and drive for creating an advocacy platform where contemporary National issues are x-rayed and relevant policy input harvested for National growth.